Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

the inevitable first post..

♪ Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely woooooooorld... ♪ Oh. Wait. This isn't Glee. Dangit!!

My name is Lauren. I've been on this lovely earth for approximately 11,302,620 minutes (most likely more by the time I'm done here.) This blog will be a lot about food, healthy eating, friends, and what makes me happy in life. I'm not here to be Gossip Girl or anything (XOXO), I'm just a normal girl wanting to share thoughts and ideas and recipes. I enjoy everything to do with cooking. Eating my creations can be pretty satisfying too. But it wasn't always that way...

I moved from the East Coast to the Prairies with my family about 4 years ago, and for me, it was a bit of a culture shock. I had NEIGHBOURS that weren't a few minutes down the road, there was actually a gas station right in town, and you didn't need to drive forever to get somewhere. Everything was in this little town I had suddenly been thrust into. What actually got me at first was the food here. I noticed there was a little Chinese restaurant, and a Greek restaurant. There was also a Thai/Western restaurant that opened 2 years after I came here, a bakery & cafe, and a drive through for your daily (monthly? yearly? for after those rough nights only?) grease fix. There were quite a few things that I had never had!!

My flavor palette has exploded expontentially in the last few years, because of my mother, and also because of the places I have worked. I had always been a meat and potato and normal veggies and foods kind of girl. No ketchup, no onions, no pickles, no peppers, no NOTHING that might add any bit of flavor to my food. After about 4 months of being in this town, I got a job as a waitress at the Greek restaurant, and that opened my eyes. There were things that I had never even heard of or had. THAT is how much my family and I went out to eat. I was introduced to Greek dishes such as Moussaka, Spanakopita (TO. DIE. FOR.), Baklava, Kalamari, and delicious Tzatziki sauce. The use of herbs and spices and lemon and wonderful olive oils and spinach and FETA. Oh my goodness the feta cheese!! The love affair began there I think. I worked there for 3 years and I think I ate my weight in Greek food , especially the Greek Salad.

Along with feta cheese (and any other kind of cheese really), I have a love affair with sweet potatoes. And I definitely cannot say no to a big steaming plate of delicious veggies. They are a staple in this household. This becomes a bit of a difficult concept for my father to grasp when he comes home. Hehe, love you Dad! Either you go hard or you get the frig out of the kitchen!!

Which brings me to my next adventure. Turnip. More commonly known as the rutabaga. I am going to make me some HEALTHY fries in the oven with these bad boys. A few months ago, I was looking at a blog that my mother had posted on her Facebook group, I See Fit People. I`m pretty sure it was about Cinnamon Peanut Butter chickpeas or something like that. ANYWAY. This girl Peanut Butter Fingers aka Julie, had made some fries out of turnip. My first thought was YUMMMMM. That thought got pushed out of the way. I didn`t really think of them until yesterday, when I was reading yet another food blog, and she was having turnip fries with her lunch. So I said to myself, OKAY. You are making these fries SOON. I got a small-ish one today at the grocery store, and it is all chopped up waiting for a splash of olive oil and some seasonings for when I throw them in the oven tomorrow after work. So excited!!

Just because I can.....

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure where my comment went from yesterday but I will reiterate how proud I am of you for doing this! You are my talented, beautiful princess and I cannot wait to read more!
    Love you,
    Mom
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to the wonderful world of food! my mum has worked with Greeks for many years, so i've had [nd LOVE] Tzatziki sauce!

    Might i suggest buying Lime Tostitoes nd Tzatziki nd use it as a dip. It's delish! The lime nd tzatziki are just amazing. another great snack is pita bread nd spinich or hummus dip :]

    ReplyDelete