Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

turnips, get in my belly!

       When you go upstairs to the kitchen to make breakfast and everything kind of goes downhill from there? Well my friends, I have had one of those mornings.

       I go to the fridge to get eggs to make my morning omelette, no eggs. Okay so oatmeal it is!! Then I make my coffee with two different kinds of coffee, no big deal. Pour the hot coffee in my lovely teetering coffee cup, and I don't know how it happened, but the cup fell over and coffee was EVVVVVERYWHERE on the counter. Imagine me screaming like a madwoman when it dribbles over the counter and onto my feet. Good thing I had socks on!! Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated even after I poured myself another cup.

The demon coffee...

       Work was decent. Same people, different day pretty much. I was rushing to get everything organized at first and then it was steady for me all day, which was nice!!

       Anyway! On to the main event, and the shining star! MR. TURNIP!! With his trusty sidekick Mr. Sweet Potato.
Crunchy, raw deliciousness


All ready to go into the sauna of the turnip gods


What is this strange and wonderful thing in my oven?

       These were so so SO SO good. I used a little bit too much olive oil though. The next time I make them, I will cook them at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, as some of the larger fries were not cooked enough. But these fries were so awesome and so different from anything I've had before. They were sweet and delicious and hot (because I used chipotle chili powder, woops ^__^)

Look at that caramelization!! Hnnnngh.




Definitely going to make these again
       These turnip fries were totally enjoyable, and I cannot wait to try different flavorings and spices on them. To make them all you need is the following:
-1 small turnip
-splash of olive oil
-your choice of seasonings (I used chipotle chili powder and seasoning salt)
       Preheat oven to about 375 degrees. Peel turnip and cut into slices. Cut slices into fry-like strips. Rinse fries under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. In a bowl, drizzle fries with olive oil (if you prefer) and add your seasonings. Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook 40 minutes or until preferred tenderness. ~~ENJOY!!~~


       Also, thank you to my wonderful boyfriend for bringing me eggs so I can make my omelette breakfast tomorrow! ♥

Until next time, toodleloo!
Lauren

4 comments:

  1. These were the BEST!! Now the fun begins with experimentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Wendy at her best! I will def have to try those!

    ReplyDelete