Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Lord is My (Shepherd's Pie)

If there was one vegetable that I could eat for the rest of my life, it would definitely be the sweet potato. I think that Kelsey might agree with me. It is such a diverse vegetable! You can dress it up and dress it down, it can be sweet, it can be savory. You can eat it with marshmallows and maple syrup, you can have it in chilies and soups, you can have it in stuffing for your Christmas roast beast, and you can have it in pies and muffins. The possibilities are endless!


The first time that I had a sweet potato, I was in my early teens. So really, only a few years ago. My uncle was making some supper after a day on the lake, and he baked some sweet potatoes. I saw him eating this weird thing that looked like a regular potato, only it was quite a bit bigger, and it had this gorgeous orange glow that drew me in. I asked him "What are you eating?" and he replied "A sweet potato. Have you ever had one?" I told him that I hadn't, and he grabbed a fork for me to test this out. I took one bite, and my tastebuds were tingling. The flavor was creamy and smooth and quite different from a normal potato, absolute love at first bite.

My mother and I have grown to love cooking with sweet potatoes, following blogs and finding new recipes that include these root vegetables. The majority of the recipes that I have bookmarked or written on my mom's chalkboard usually feature them.

Along with being bright and colorful, sweet potatoes are also very high in Vitamin C. They are low in fat, sodium, and cholesterol. When I want to go for a run, these are usually my go-to energy boost. The carbohydrates are great fuel for my body, and I seem to get the best run when I eat these bad boys. 


This next recipe is so basic, yet so flavorful. A crowd pleaser for sure!


Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Adapted from Meals & Moves 



Ingredients: 
  • 5 cups sweet potatoes, cubed and steamed
  • splash milk
  • cooking spray or olive oil
  • 12 oz ground turkey or ground chicken (I used turkey)
  • 1/2 red onions, diced
  • Worchestershire sauce
  • 2 cans tomato sauce (She recommended 2 - 8oz cans, I ended up using 2 - 15oz cans for added saucey-ness) 
  • 1.5 cups green beans, steamed
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • asiago or parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top
 Directions:

Steam your potatoes and green beans. I did these together, because they're going in the same dish anyways. Just make sure your green beans are on top so you don't have to go digging like me :P




Meanwhile, chop your carrots and onion.




Saute carrots and onion in an oiled pan over med-high heat. Add your W-Sauce, if you choose.


Add your ground turkey (or chicken) and cook thoroughly (not pink, like there is still a bit of here). Add salt and pepper. 


Add your tomato sauce and give it a stir to combine everything together. Feel free to add more W-Sauce here, if desired. If your carrots aren't quite tender, keep cooking your mixture until they are.
*I forgot a picture of this step, sorry*


Give your steamed sweet potatoes a nice splash of milk and add a little salt and pepper. Mash mash mash! 
*I ALSO forgot a picture of this step. I was really hungry, okay?*


When your tomato mixture is done cooking to your liking, layer as such :
- Meat mixture, 
- Steamed green beans,
- Mashed sweet potatoes, and
- Sprinkling of cheese!




Cover with foil and bake for 30 -40 minutes at 375 degrees, or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
Enjoy!!







Makes 6 large servings or 8 regular servings


For 8 servings:
Calories - 197.2, Fat - 2.3g, Sodium - 130mg, Carbs - 24.2g, Protein - 12.0g

I will be making this again for sure.


Question : What vegetable could you not live without? 




Toodleloo!!
xo
Lauren 

EDIT:
I have changed the settings so that anyone can comment!!
 

3 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I have tried this before....sooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete