Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

Pumpkin Lovin' ...

Had me a blast, pumpkin lovin' happened so fast...


Wow, it has been a long time since I have updated! I am sorry that I haven't, but I was lacking inspiration to blog. Blogger's block?

A while ago, I tried something that only recently became available in Canada.
Tofu Shirataki Noodles!! The strangest thing ever! I made the recipe from off the back of the package of  the fettucine-shaped noodles. I love love love Hungry Girl's recipes, so I was excited to finally use these. I added a little bit of steamed sweet potato, and it was AWESOME!



Shirataki noodles, although strange and wonderful, are not the feature ingredient of this post!  
 
I have actually made this recipe only once or twice before, and it doesn't last very long in this house. This time I made it and it barely lasted a day!  


Mac and Cheese
Adapted from Oxygen Magazine's recipe


Ingredients:

  • 8 oz (1 cup) whole-wheat elbow macaroni
  • 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
  • 0.5 cup canned pure pumpkin
  • 0.75 cup of your favorite low-fat cheese (I used a blend of mozza, cheddar and monterey jack)
  • 0.25 cup of nutritional yeast or 0.5 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (nutritional yeast was used in calculation of calories) (optional)




Directions:


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook your pasta as directed on the package. Do not overcook.
 



While your pasta is cooking, combine your cottage cheese and pumpkin together in your food processor/blender. I also added 1 tbsp of Old El Paso taco seasoning here as well.

Texture should be something like this


After draining the pasta, return to original pot. Add cheese mixture and your extra mixed cheese.

 Mix and put into shallow casserole/baking dish. Top with nutritional yeast/whole wheat bread crumbs, if desired.


Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.


Enjoy!!


Makes 4 servings
Calories per serving - 311, Fat - 3.8 g, Sodium - 541 mg, Carbs - 41.4, Protein - 26.4 g

This was from when I made it last week-ish, but today I made it and also grated some carrot to add into it. Just add it to your pasta water for a bit softer carrot, or to your cheesy pasta mixture before you put it in the oven! My dad said he didn't notice any difference in the texture, and my brother hates carrots, and ate a whole plate full!! Sneaky sneaky, I know :)

Also, with the leftover pumpkin from this recipe, I like to make breakfast oats.



This single-serving included :
  • 1/3 c Rogers Porridge oats
  • 1/4 c Canned pumpkin (of course)
  • 1 tbsp Carob chips
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Dark chocolate almond butter
  • 1/4 c Fat-free vanilla yogurt
  • 1/4 tsp Vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg 
When mixed together, this should resemble oatmeal cookie dough. Refrigerate 2 -4 hours, but overnight is best. Healthy cookie dough for breakfast, yummm!! 

Calories - 356, Fat - 13 g, Sodium - 44 mg, Carbs - 43.6 g, Protein - 10.8 g






xo
Lauren 

3 comments:

  1. YUM, YUM....one of my favorite recipes. You are the Master of the Mac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made macaroni with cottage cheese and pumpkin once, it was pretty good! Yours looks DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!
    It is a definite favorite :)

    ReplyDelete