Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2011

Sid's In The Kitchen...


"Schoup and TOOOO-NA!"

 (source)
There's a bit of a story behind this. The year was 2002, and my family was having a typical weekend gathering at my auntie's house. I was 13 at the time, and my cousin was 9. Her grandmother comes in the front door with a big box of goodies, and we are all "Oh what is in that big box?" My cousin goes over to the box, peeks in, and replies to us "Schoup and Tooooo-na!" in her best Sid the Sloth (from the new movie Ice Age) voice. Of course, being the demented family that we are, we all burst out laughing. Maybe it was just the fact that we go for soup and a tuna sandwich when there's nothing else to make, or maybe we're just completely crazy. 

This recipe was actually just something I threw together because there were lots of leftovers. My brother likes casseroles and stuff like that, so this was something I knew wouldn't last long :D



This jumble of deliciousness included: 
  • 1 can flaked light tuna, drained
  • 0.5 tbsp chipotle chili powder (optional)
  • leftover rice and corn (about 2.5 cups brown instant rice *cooked* and a small can of peaches of cream corn)
  • 1 can low-sodium celery soup (I used Campbell's)
  • 0.5 cup low-fat cheese, divided (Kraft Tex Mex light was used)
  • 2.5 tbsp hot sauce (also optional)
Flake tuna into large bowl. Add chipotle powder. Add half of cheese, and remaining ingredients and mix. Make sure you don't drop your rice bowl into the big bowl while doing so (Whoopsie :D) Transfer to small casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cheese is brown and casserole is heated through.

Makes 4 - 1 cup servings.

Calories - 250, Fat - 5.1 g,  Carbs - 34.4 g, Protein - 11.2 g

I also decided to go all Martha Stewart (in this case, Jean Paré) and make a huge pot of stew. I was looking for a recipe to make for my boyfriend's birthday, and I happened to look up and see Company's Coming - Meatless Cooking cookbook! I remember looking through the hoardes of them my mother had when I was in my early teens.

Now that I'm a little older and my flavor palette and the amount of things I will try has expanded exponentially, I decided to to take a look. I came across plenty of wonderful recipes, but this one recipe caught my eye with the amount of veggies on the ingredient list! I knew I had to make it. So the same day as the tuna casserole, I made this lovely stew. My mother stood beside me drooling and pretty much crying, because she was getting ready to leave for her trip, and the soup still had 1.5 hours of cooking time. 
  
Lentil Stew
Adapted from Company's Coming cookbook 



Ingredients:
  • 6 cups chicken stock (or veggie broth, I used what I had)
  • 0.75 cup (1 - 5.5 oz can) tomato paste
  • 0.25 cup white rice
  • 3 cups carrots, chopped bite size
  • 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped bite size
  • 1 cup mixed lentils
  • 1 cup yellow turnip, chopped bite size
  • 0.25 tsp garlic powder
  • 0.5 tsp sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
Directions:


Put all ingredients, except for peas, in a large pot or Dutch oven. Stir frequently until mixture boils. Boil gently, covered for 1 3/4 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent anything sticking to the bottom of the pot. 


Add peas. Bring back to a boil, until peas are cooked. Discard bay leaf.




Makes 10 3/4 cups, enough for 5 - 2 cup servings.
One cup for me was plenty!

For a 2 cup serving :
Calories - 380, Fat - 3.6 g, Carbs - 74 g, Protein - 14.1 g


Enjoy!!

xo
Lauren 









3 comments:

  1. I've been craving lentils for weeks now! I have goooot to make some lentil stew/soup! This looks delish! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenn! This soup/stew is awesome. I love love love love lentils (and veggies if you see most of my posts) and this hits the spot. It's better the next day or two, but what stew isn't?

    ReplyDelete