Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

Throwdown with Neeps and Taters & I See Fit People!

I have decided to do something a little different today. My mother and I were both making something in the kitchen, so I decided to make a sort of ~collaboration~ post. So here is the first (and most likely not the last) post with my mom, Wendy, creator of I See Fit People

The bases of our recipes today are chickpeas (Don't let me hear those groans, people) and quinoa. 

Her recipe is from the Looney Spoons recipe book by the Podleski sisters
(http://www.eatshrinkandbemerry.com/) 


Yummus




Ingredients:
  •  1 - 19 oz can chickpeas, drained
  • 0.25 cup light sour cream (or fat-free, whichever you prefer)
  • 2 tbsp tahini or almond butter
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp lemon zest (sometimes leave this out)
  • 0.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 0.5 tsp each salt and granulated sugar
  • 0.25 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
Directions:


Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and whirl until smooth. Serve with veggies or oven toasted pitas (or Kashi crackers! Yum!)





Calories (per 1/4 cup serving) - 104, Fat - 3 g, Fibre - 3.1 g

We honestly make this all the time, it's right up there with the lentils and the sweet potatoes! 
I see a lot of people on the blogs I follow using hummus as a salad dressing, so this time around I might just have to try it!

 You know how you just have to eat sometimes and you can't wait for supper to be ready? Well I made this little bowl of goodness while I was waiting for my main recipe to be cooked. 


Isn't it colorful and tasty looking? I added some quinoa, a sprinkle of chick peas, red onion, feta cheese, a sliced mini dill pickle on the top, along with some Italian dressing and freshly cracked pepper. It hit the spot, completely! You could even whip up a quick vinagrette to pour over this. But omnomnom it was SO fresh and the textures were awesome! You could even make this in a larger amount for a warm salad :)


This next recipe was TOTALLY awesome, and I cannot wait for leftovers tomorrow. Hopefully there's some still in the fridge when I wake up. If not, I'll make another one of my tasty colorful salads, maybe with some hummus dressing ;)


Cheesy Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole
Adapted from Meals and Miles' recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium butternut squash, about 3 cups
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 3 garlic cloves (yuuuuummmy!)
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 0.50 cup + 3 tbsp plain yogurt
  • 0.50 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp rosemary  (I will be using about half as much the next time I make this)
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp + 2 splashes Worchestershire sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cinnamon
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Peel, hollow and chop your butternut squash into small pieces. On a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper, put butternut squash and sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until squash is tender


When your squash is almost finished cooking, combine all ingredients except for cheese in a bowl. Add squash.
 

Mix all ingredients well and transfer to casserole dish. Top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.

See what I did there? ;)

After the 3 of us attacked it
 Enjoy!!




Makes approx. 6 - 1 cup servings.
Calories per serving - 235.4, Fat - 5.3 g, Carbs - 38.1 g, Fibre - 2.7, Protein - 9.5 g

Now you have not one, not two, but three yummy recipes to try! 
xo
Lauren

What are your plans for this week? 

P.S. - This song has been stuck in my head since I picked up the Chicago DVD at Winners!!
It is so great!!


5 comments:

  1. Gosh your blog makes me so hungry sometimes >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I MUST try the Butternut recipe (I already made the hummus last night haha)! Thanks for sharing - you both rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Athena!!! The whole house smelled AMAZING when this was cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try the quinoa casserole! I never would have thought of the combo you came up with with pickles, quinoa etc but looks good. Great job on your blog!

    Mari - from ISFP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much!

    I love love LOVE pickles, and they add color and crunch, so why not :D

    Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete