Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Clean Eating.. Almost.

Let me just say that I am proud of my little town for raising money for a local young boy! I forgot my camera, so I don't have any pictures from the fundraiser. It was a great gathering of people, and fun was had by all! So awesome! Such a good cause!

Round 2 of ChaLean Extreme is awesome. I can feel my body changing, and I have already lost 1/2 an inch off my hips and my waist. So BOOYAH!


The other night, I picked up the new Clean Eating magazine when my friends wanted to make a random trip to the city at 10 pm.. They got My Little Pony figurines, I got Clean Eating and Water for Elephants. They got McDonald's burgers(ick) and I got tea and ice cream. Exciting!

Ever look online and in new magazines and say "Ooooh I want to make that!" ? Then realize that you have so many other recipes that you already want to make? Well this issue had a strictly meatless section where they had so many yummy recipes. I want to try them all, but for now, this is what I made. 


Classic Tacos
Adapted from the Clean Eating recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped 
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 cups mushrooms, chopped roughly into small pieces (I used button mushrooms)
  • 1/2 of a medium-sized cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 freshly strangled ground black pepper
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
Directions:


In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add your onion, and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute for another minute or so.


Add mushrooms and cauliflower and stir constantly for 2 minutes, until steam begins to be released. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes, until vegetables have become fork tender.

While your veggie mixture is cooking, whisk together tomato paste, 1/4 cup water, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. Add to mushroom mixture and add corn. Mix well until sauce coats evenly, and cover. Turn heat down to med-low, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.




To assemble:


  • 8 small tortillas of your choice (if you were to make your servings smaller, 12 would be fine) I used Dempster's Body Wise tortillas
  • Your favorite taco toppings - Avocado, fat-free sour cream, light shredded cheese, taco sauce, hot sauce, lettuce, black beans
Are you sure these are tacos?
No meat? Uhhh..
Destroying #3 and #4!
The aftermath
See silly boyfriend, a meal without meat can be gooood! :)


For 3 tacos (with my ingredients and brands of fillings) - 1 tortilla, 1/3 filling, 1/8 cup light cheese divided evenly, 3 tbsp fat-free sour cream, and a few slices of avocado:
Calories - 490, Fat - 13 g, Carbs - 13 g, Protein - 32g
 I also made a soup from The Gracious Pantry (if you haven't looked at her blog, do it now!)
I modified it a bit, to my liking...


It was simply:
  • One can no salt added tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup veggie stock
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 2 tsp Clubhouse roasted garlic and red pepper spice mix
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp chicken bouillion powder or 1 bouillion cube
  • 1 cup 2% milk (she suggests soy milk)
  • 3/4 cup light shredded cheese
Simply add all ingredients in a pot and warm til heated through. My milk curdled because the heat was too high.. But it was still tasty!! Definitely making this again!




For 1 cup :
Calories - 95, Fat - 3.7 g, Carbs - 9.2 g, Protein - 6.7 g


xo
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. The tacos look awesome!! I love finding meatless ways to enjoy traditionally meat-filled things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They were so awesome! My boyfriend actually said "What kind of meat is in this?" and I just kind of looked at him, and he said "There is no meat, is there?"

    ReplyDelete