Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the great meat debate

There is nothing wrong with eating your vegetables, or even just liking them in the first place.

So many times I have been asked, "Are you a vegetarian?" "Do you not eat meat?" "What's with the bird food?" No and no. That bird food, it's actually healthier for you than those candies or chips sitting in your cupboard.

I think so many people are scared to try anything different, and get their protein from other sources than meat, meat, and more meat. Sure, for some people it's all about flavor and texture and the fact that they're digging into a big ol' hunk of meat. But the real reason, in my opinion, that people are so "steak and potatoes" is that they are scared to try new foods, because they might just like them. Also, extra lean meat does not mean less flavor!

I asked my dad quite frequently when he was home, "Could you go a day without meat?" He told me he couldn't, and wasn't quite sure why. Every time I cook something and invite my boyfriend over for supper, "Is there meat in this?" I just don't understand. Neither of them really care for lentils or beans or any veggie burger. (<- one of the best veggie burgers out there )

I am not, by any means, saying don't eat meat. Just make healthy choices! That triple-layer burger with all the fixings? You could have had a full meal including dessert for all of those calories! Your body will thank you later. 


While I do enjoy some extra lean ground beef, chicken, pork or turkey (when our little grocery store actually has it in) once in a while, it isn't cut it out of my diet completely. I just don't depend on it. And there's a little thing called portion control! Our plates are often full of veggies in this house! 


Sorry to all of you carnivores (or as I was once corrected, omnivores) out there, but there are so many wonderful foods out there, that don't include meat, and rely solely on the flavors of the dish, not the meat that's served with or in it!


*end rant*


Yesterday, as you all know, was Meatless Monday. I have been the top chef for supper for most Monday's for the last 2 or 3 months. Sure there were a few weeks when my dad made supper and we kind of all did our own thing, but mostly it was up to me. Well, I kind of volunteer myself every week. No big deal. :)

In our house, my mother and I have been on a spaghetti squash kick lately, and our little grocery store needs to keep up with the supply and demand. So basically, stock up when you can!


I got up yesterday at 1 pm, after working a night shift at my new job (woot!). Did my regular morning routine of breakfast and tea, then sought out a new recipe to use my spaghetti squash in. 


Stuffed spaghetti squash was out, since we've made that quite a few times lately. I came across a recipe for pad thai, then I thought about curry.

Sure enough, the Google never disappoints and I found this wonderful recipe! It was super easy, one pan and one roasting sheet! Next time I will definitely be using light coconut milk, and more spice. Yum!!



Thai Curry Spaghetti Squash
Adapted from Aggie's Kitchen



Ingredients:
  • 1 spaghetti squash, roasted and scraped from shell
  • 1 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced and chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
  • 1.5 tbsp red curry paste
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 can coconut milk (LIGHT if you can!!)
  • juice of 1 lime
  • green onions
  • fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions:


Roast your spaghetti squash, about 45 minutes @ 400 degrees, or until insides fall away easily when scraped with a fork.


Heat oil with red pepper flakes over medium high heat in a large skillet/frying pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
 Add veggies to pan and saute. Add your curry past to pan and mix everything together. Add tamari and brown sugar to pan and mix til well blended. Add coconut milk (don't forget to shake!) and stir to blend well. Simmer.
Add fresh lime juice, green onion and cilantro (if using) Serve hot over spaghetti squash.


For a recipe I had never tried before this was amazing! Next time I think it'll need a little more heat, and light coconut milk would have DEFINITELY made a difference in the fat! But I haven't seen the last of this one.


For 1/2 cup sauce + 2 cups spaghetti squash (calories will vary according to brands used)
Calories - 263, Fat - 16 g, Carbs - 30 g, Fiber - 5.4 g, Protein - 4 g

xo
Lauren

- Do you eat meat every day? Do you think you could survive a week without?
- Do you get your servings of vegetables each day?

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhh darlin' that sounds So good!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    And no, I don't eat much meat. What I DO eat, I try to make sure it's not from a nsty-wasty factory farm. So gross!

    If you're interested, try reading
    "Food Revolution" by John Robbins. Very eye-opening.

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pokemyhontas

    You're very welcome!

    Ooh, I'll have to look for that. I got some awesome vegan/vegetarian books from the library the other day. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO amazingly delicious. I cannot wait to make it again with the light coconut milk. It rocked the house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurnie, As a meat lover, and because your Dad isn't home to defend it - check out these websites: http://www.beefnutrition.org/CMDocs/BeefNutrition/ProteinsAreNotCreatedEqual.pdf;
    http://www.powerofmeat.com/
    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, a lot of my friends and clients (and my sister!) are beef, pork and chicken producers. They are a huge part of the economy here in Southern Alberta. Campaigns like 'meatless Monday' hurt their business, and our local economy. I know that's not what your trying to do - I'm just offering an alternative point of view. And - I love vegetables too! Your recipe looks amazing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Uncle John

    I appreciate your comment, so much!

    I don't think it's such a big deal here in Alberta, because yes, people are gonna eat meat like crazy. All I'm trying to do is lay out what I am thinking on the table so people have something to think about. How much they're consuming, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved it!! Thanks Lauren....That sauce can be used for anything, it's so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM Lauren-I totally stole this recipe. I'm pretty sure one day without meat per week from health-conscious people will not put the meat industry out of business,considering there's 6 other days that even we are eating meat. Options are nice! Thanks for all your yummy-licious recipes! ~kim~ see you over at ISFP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its time i buy some spaghetti squash and try it out. you've made it look irresistible!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a master in the kitchen, Laurnie! This was one of your best dishes yet & I look forward to our Meatless Mondays together!
    Love you!
    Mom xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kimberly - That is so true. It would jazz up a lot of dishes!

    Kim - Exactly!

    Kelsey - You will love it, definitely. I love love loved this dish. It`s a nice change from noodles or rice. You could add in potatoes or squash or broccoli or baby corn too! There are so many options!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I eat very little meat in general but do eat some to make sure I'm getting all the vitamins my body needs [taking vitamin pills don't work for me]

    I really feel people should go to the doctor to make sure they're healthy, lots of meat isn't as healthy as everyone thinks. Proportions!

    xo
    Katie
    http://missktdanger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete