Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

spring is finally here!

Springtime is....

..being able to have a fire and makes s'mores,
 ..touches of new life everywhere,
..laying in the green grass that is slowly peeking through,
And looking slightly dead...

..bringing out my favorite flip flops,

 .. the warm sun shining on my face,
..highways in the sky,
..spring colors in the napkin holder,
..and colorful (delicious) food!! 
Well that's an all season kind of thing!!


Today's recipe was adapted from Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life's recipe. It was so colorful and so tasty, it just reminded me of all these wonderful things that spring will bring.


Veggie-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Makes 2 big servings 


Ingredients:
I am very possessive of my cheese :)

  • 1 spaghetti squash (this one yielded about 3.5 cups)
  • 2.5 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (one can never have enough garlic)
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup button mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper
  • 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (I used Hunt's Diced - Basil & Oregano)
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 3/4 cup pasta sauce/marinara sauce + 1/4 cup for topping (I used Eating Right Tomato Basil pasta sauce)
  • Basil, oregano, salt and pepper
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp shredded cheese (Kraft Tex Mex Light)
  • Parmesan cheese, for topping
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Prep your spaghetti squash by cutting in half length-wise and scooping out the seeds. Drizzle each half with a SMALL amount of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet and roast until squash comes away easily when scraped with a fork.
Cooking time will all depend on the size of your squash. Mine took about 40 minutes.
While your squash is in the oven, cut up all of your veggies.

In large pan over medium heat, saute garlic and onion. 
Add carrots, mushrooms and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and spinach and cook until spinach has wilted down.

Once your squash is cooked, let cool for about 10 minutes. Or less, if you're impatient and hungry like me. Scrape insides of squash into a large bowl.
Add your sauteed vegetables, breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup pasta sauce, 3/4 cup cheese, and your spices to the bowl. 
 Mix until well blended, and divide filling between the two squash bowls. Top with remaining pasta sauce, cheese, and fresh parmesan. Bake until heated through and cheese has melted!

For half of this recipe (not half of a half!) :
Calories - 359, Fat - 14 g, Carbs - 48, Fibre - 9.8g, Protein - 18


It was absolutely freaking delicious, and I can't wait to make it again. Next time though I will play around the different cheeses I could use (feta, dry curd cottage cheese) to make it a bit healthier. But I HEART VEGGIES! YAY MONDAY!


Thumbs up for 20 degree temperatures!

I feel like Emma Pilsbury. HOORAY! HOORAY!! GLEE KIDS HOORAY!
xo
Lauren


- What is your favorite part of spring?
- Do you have a favorite season?

5 comments:

  1. I could LIVE off this dish alone. LIVE.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and I LOVE spaghetti squash. Will try this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's another recipe that I made a while ago too, if you're interested! It's Thai Curry Spaghetti Squash. Look in the tags on the sidebar..SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Spaghetti Squash, will try yours today, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this ,have made it many times.Funny thing,posted it on a fb page follow cause I like it so muchI ..it was your mom!! lol Making it for my sister this weekend ..thanks!!

    ReplyDelete