Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

a long time coming


I am so sorry I have been a complete slacker lately. I have been so busy with my new job as a housekeeper at a senior's home and my other job bartending. Training for my new job was the end of May, and then I started within the first week of June. I had a blog post all ready, but I just haven't found the time (or the motivation) to get it done. Better late than never, right? Maybe, maybe not. I have been in a cook's block lol.

I made this recipe for Meatless Monday about a month ago, and it was a big hit in our house! My brother didn't like the sauce for them, so he just ended up eating his with ranch and lettuce. Exciting, I know. But between the 3 of us, there was none left by the end of the night!


Falafel Pita Sandwiches
Adapted from Clean Eating magazine


Ingredients:
  • 1 - 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 onion (red or white), cut into 3 or 4 chunks
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped into small chunks
  • 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1 tsp olive oil
Directions:
  • Drain chickpeas and transfer to food processor. Add onion, peppers, parsley, garlic, baking powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Pulse the mixture until it is a grainy texture, scraping down the sides as needed. With lightly moistened hands, shape mixture into 12 golfball-sized rounds on a plate. Set aside.
  • Coat a large skillet with nonstick spray (or olive oil) and heat on medium-low. Work in batches and use a spatula to flatten the falafel to 1/2 inch thick. Cook until lightly browned, about 4 or 5 minutes on each side.



For the sauce :
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or a quarter lemon's worth)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • hot sauce
 Whisk ingredients together.
    To construct falafel:
    • Whole wheat pita, halved
    • lettuce
    • red onion, thinly sliced
    • tomato slices
    • cucumber slices
    • 2 (or 3) falafel patties
    • 1 tbsp feta
    • 1 tbsp-ish sauce
     I put my vegetables in, and I topped them off with 2 of the falafel patties, about a tbsp of  sauce, and feta cheese.




    Yum!! This recipe yields 12 falafel patties. You could make the mixture into about 4 falafel burgers instead of the little patties.


    For a 2-patty pita + 1 tbsp of sauce :
    Calories - 260, Carbs - 36 g, Fat - 9 g, Protein - 11 g

    Hopefully you'll be seeing more of me!


    xo
    Lauren

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment