Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

it's been awhile...

Why hello there followers, if I have any left. I am sorry about my extreme hiatus from the blogging world. I started a new job in the middle of May, and it along with my other job(s) took over my life. Ex. Haust. Ed. But now I am back, hopefully posting more frequently, and hearing what you have to say!


During my last post, it was just the beginning of summer. I can honestly say I didn't do many summer activities. BUT I did go back to Nova Scotia for my friends wedding in August, and had a wonderful time for the short time I was there. 


Hodge podge

Drinks with good friends

^Babies V



A beautiful outdoor wedding
Yoga moves in front of historic Greenwood Cottage

More drinks with friends ;)
Summer faded into fall, with the first fall-like weather since the first year I moved here. Fall is going fast, and the chilly Alberta weather is starting to kick in. 


There are so many things I love about the cooler weather. Being able to wear warm boots, cute sweaters, the changing leaves on the trees, cooler nights, the crunchy leaves on the ground, and the way that tea just tastes so much better after coming in from a chilly walk. The seasonal vegetables (SQUASH!) are pretty great too! 


I was at work last week, and there is this book and gift company that always brings things in. This was the first thing I saw, and I was like "Oooh. Mom would like that." Last night I actually got to take it and look at it all the way through and I spotted these bad boys. So I got the ingredients I didn't have, and whipped these up tonight. 




Garden Burgers
Adapted from the original recipe in "Quinoa 365 : The Everyday SuperFood"


Ingredients:

  • 1/4 c dry quinoa (any variety is fine)
  • 1/4 c dry green lentils
  • 1 1/2 c water
  • 1/2 c breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 - 19oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 c finely chopped onion
  • 1 finely chopped green or red bell pepper
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:

  • Combine the quinoa, lentils and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
  • Preheat oven to 350*F. 
  • Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper. 
  • Combine breadcrumbs, garlic and chili powders, chickpeas, onion, green peppers, and salt and pepper. Add cooked lentils and quinoa.
  • Using your hands (or a potato masher), mix the ingredients together, breaking down the chickpeas. Take 1/2 c of your mixture at a time, and using damp hands, begin to form your patties. 
  • Bake for 20 - 22 minutes.








Makes 6 - 8 burgers.
Mine made 7, because I was nibbling on chickpeas while the lentils and quinoa were cooking :o) I enjoyed mine with a little dilly dip, feta, red onion and lettuce, on a multigrain bun.

For 1 burger (just the patty) :
Calories - 147, Fat - 1.2g, Carbs - 29 g, Fiber - 5.2g, Protein - 5.9g



Enjoy!!
xoxo
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, Lauren! These were amazinggg!!! You are such a wonderful daughter! Thank you so much for cooking these up and for the wonderful gift! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Livestrong. That recipe looks AMAZING! Will definitely try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete